Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Good, the Bad, and the Faded





There is a difference between good food photography, bad food photography and faded food photography. Each sends out a different message.



This burger photo, for example, is poor photography not because it is revolting, but because it is faded and dated. This faded burger image says, "I was doused with sauce about 60 years ago and I belong in a old dinner menu on the side of route 66."


This burger is in vivid color, but that is no matter because the burger itself sends a negative message. This burger says, "My bread was run over by a truck, and my meat and cheese were up-choked by the last unsuspecting person to order me". This burger, while it may taste wonderfully, looks like it was thrown together in an unappealing manor.


This is a great example of good food photography. Sure it could benefit from a bit more depth and contrast, but overall it is neatly constructed with care, and is in vivid color. This burger says, "My maker spent quality time constructing me and grilling me to perfection. I am a burger worthy of your five dollar bill. And if you think my looks are amazing, wait until you taste me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment